Monday, August 9, 2010

Happy Birthday from T's Mama

Tommy, you are two today. Last night we watched the video of your birth and were reminded how much we've all changed since that fateful day in August 2008. I barely knew how to comfort the just-born crying baby in my arms, our bedroom was not yet Tommy-proofed, your Papa was not even Papa just yet (we were all calling him Daddy) and you were a wriggly tiny version of yourself not yet able to curse. Yes, you curse now.

You do everything now. Your mantra lately is, "I do that. I try. I taste. I touch. I type. Milky side!" You've mastered the playground, and you're hungry for bike riding (the two-wheeled variety, of course). You take the stairs without any assistance. You amaze us every day with your vocabulary and your powers of observation. I never thought I'd be spelling out words to an 18-month old. Back then I was spelling out your obsessions: door, keys, outside. Now I'm spelling your current trigger words like sorbet, throw, and sad. You've just started grasping emotions, but you've been empathetic and quick to offer a hug when you know someone needs it.

Your extroversion surprises and delights your Papa and me. At church this week you waved and shouted out, "hello, people!" I'm told you embody what it is to be a Leo, and this terrifies me, but I love you all the more fiercely because you are so different from me.

I hope that you continue to challenge me to be a better mother for you, and a better person for you and for your Papa. Two years ago today, meeting you was one of happiest moments of my life, and seeing you today reminded me how much that mama-love I had for you at birth has matured. I love you today and always, Mr. T Bone. What a powerful teacher you've been. Thank you.

2 comments:

Mrs. said...

so beautiful!!

Sandra said...

Beautifully said. Hope he had a wonderful bday! Miss you all